Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Journal Entry 14

In the preparation course we are learning about entering a community right now. I will be entering a community where BYU field studies have been before so at least some of the local population will know who we are. I am realizing that I have no idea how to go about seeking a volunteer position at the clinic. Will the doctor we live with just give us an opportunity to volunteer there or will we need to seek out an administrator? Who is the gatekeeper for that type of position? It seems like in order to conduct my actual research I will not need approval from anyone. I intend to recruit participants by going door-to-door and requesting participation from people. Are there certain approvals I need in order to do that? I think I will just talk with my host family and some informants at the clinic about my proposed method of recruitment and see if they think it will work.

Keywords: entering a community, gatekeeper, recruitment methods

No comments:

Post a Comment