Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Learning Journal 17

I stumbled on a great resource online recently. It's a set of articles called the Malaria Eradication Research Agenda (malERA). These articles were written by the malERA Consultative Groups, each focusing on a particular aspect of the malaria eradication campaign (e.g. vector control, drugs, vaccines, diagnoses). This also led me to a very valuable resource called the WHO's malaria elimination field manual. This manual contains information on the feasibility of malaria eradication, tools for specific elimination programs, monitoring evaluation of progress, prevention of the re-establishment of malaria, etc. These two resources contain a ton of information that I am eager to implement into my project. I have only read a couple of pages of each and they have led me to some questions:

1. Why did the Global Malaria Eradication Project in the 1950's and 1960's fail to produce results in sub-Saharan Africa?

2. The WHO has summits and conferences where they develop proposals for malaria eradication strategies. How does Ghana implement these strategies.

I think the answers to these questions are in the resources I found, it will just take me a while to get through it all.

Keywords: malaria eradication research agenda, WHO's malaria elimination field manual

No comments:

Post a Comment