Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Learning Journal 20

I decided not to go to Ghana since I got engaged and decided to be married June 18th. Obviously this will have major implications for my project. I will not be going to Wiamoase for a field study so my project will completely change.

My first step is to develop a new research question and begin the 25 question exercise again:

Research question - What social factors contribute to high levels of anxiety in adults age fifty and older in Utah County?

25 questions beginning -

1. How large of a population sample do I need to eliminate population bias from my study?
2.Will a sample from Utah County give me useful data by itself or will I need a comparison group?
3. What is the best way to target adults age fifty and older while making the sample as random as possible?
4. What are some lurking variables that could potentially affect the study results? How do I include as many of these as possible so I am aware of all factors?
5. What type of response bias will be introduced if my sample is taken from this population? If the subjects know that I am a BYU student will that affect their willingness to participate and will that create a noticeable response bias in my data?
6. How can I evaluate stress levels of subjects while minimizing the risk of causing emotional stress from recalling stressful experiences?
7. This is a potentially vulnerable population (the elderly). What can I do to minimize other risks to my population?
8. Since anxiety is an affective disorder would subjects that have been diagnosed with anxiety be another vulnerable population?
9. What are indicators of anxiety for my population?
10. Are there common medications for anxiety that I should include in the survey as indicators on anxiety?

Keywords: Utah county, older adults, anxiety, 25 questions

No comments:

Post a Comment